JARC knows that it takes more to make a home than four walls and a roof. That’s why social and recreation opportunities are at the heart of care and support of the people JARC serves. Individuals who live in JARC homes can take advantage of:
- Fun social gatherings, such as an annual Detroit River Boat evening, barbecues at local parks, dance parties
- Tickets to local sporting events and concerts
- Jewish holiday celebrations and services
- Individualized activities, such as attending comic book clubs, knitting and craft circles, and gaming groups
- Weekly community activities and outings, such as going to the movies, going out for dinner, shopping, and visiting friends
LINKUP FOR YOUNG ADULTS
LinkUp is a social program for young adults with disabilities still living at home with their families. Thanks to a grant from the Jewish Fund Teen Board, JARC is able to provide year-round programming that provides participants with meaningful social exchanges with others, preparing them for greater independence. Activities include:
● Tours of Detroit
● Sporting events
● Music festivals
● ‘Foody’ experiences (eating new cuisines in trendy restaurants)
● Bowling and Fowling with friends
● Museum tours
For more information about LinkUp, please email us at email@example.com or call 248-488-7590.
MAKING COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS (MCC)
Making Community Connections (MCC) is a JARC initiative to enable people with disabilities to be OF the community, not just IN the community. This means that they are not merely bystanders but appreciated, acknowledged and accepted by other community members. The MCC program has facilitated over 50 connections between people with and without disabilities. These connections are occurring in a variety of community settings, activities and clubs.
Trained JARC staff, known as Community Guides, offer varying levels of support based on the needs of each participant. With the support of a Community Guide, individuals, regardless of their degree of disability, are joining special-interest clubs, volunteering and becoming members of community and religious groups.
A Variety of Religious Experiences
JARC celebrates religious diversity by making it possible for everyone to worship in the faith of their choice. Regularly scheduled Jewish activities, as well as monthly Christian Social Group meetings and activities, provide additional spiritual enrichment.